2008年9月27日 星期六

英文莫名其妙

  從《Advanced》上看來的,該期刊物時間已經有點久遠……廢話不多說,節錄〈English is a CRAZY Language〉如下。

  • … people drive on a parkway and park in a driveway… (parkway 景觀高速公路;driveway 車道)
  • … people play at a recital and recite at a play…(在獨奏會上演奏,在戲劇中朗誦)
  • Why does night fall but never break and day break but never fall?
  • … when we transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when we transport something by ship, it's called cargo…
  • Why do we pack suits in a garment bag and garments in a suitcase?(套裝放進西裝袋,衣物裝進行李箱)
  • Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bike called cyclists?
  • Why… can your nose run and your feet smell?(run 流鼻涕;smell 腳有臭味)

  • … call the third hand on the clock the second hand… (second hand 秒針)
  • Why do they call them apartments whey they're all together?
  • Why it is called a TV set when you get only one?
  • Why is the word abbreviation so long?(不是「縮寫」嗎?)
  • Why does monosyllabic have five syllables?(不是「單音節」?)

  • If olive oil is made from olives, what do they make baby oil from?
  • If a vegetarian eats vegetable, what does a humanitarian consume?
    (這兩句有點恐怖就不寫翻譯了……)

  • A non-stop flight (直飛的班機). Never get on one of these. You'll never get down.(不停地飛行呀)
  • It's neither here nor there (無關緊要). Then where is it? (不在這裡也不在那裡?)
  • Watch your head (小心你的頭). I keep seeing this sign on low doorways, but I haven't figured out how to follow the instructions.(要怎麼看著你的頭?)
  • Put your best foot forward (做最好的表現). Now let's see... We have a good foot and a better food ─ but we don't have a third ─ and best ─ foot.(最高級形容詞用於數目三個以上)

  • … when the sun, moon or the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible…(星星出現;燈關起)
  • … when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I shall end it?(手錶旋緊發條;短文做總結)

  最後作者Richard Lederer以下面這句話做結:"…language reflects the creative and fearful asymmetry of the human race, which, of course, isn't really a race at all."  

  

沒有留言:

張貼留言